Pool Filter Services
Our pool filter inspection, diagnosis and cleaning package is required for ongoing customers.
What Types of Pool Filters Need to be Cleaned?
Filter cleanings are necessary for nearly all residential swimming pools. The reason for this is approximately 98% of residential swimming pools are either DE (diatomaceous earth), cartridge, or some combination of the two types called a hybrid. You can see more about what is the best about of each type of swimming pool filter here. The remaining 1-2% are sand filters which do not disassemble and clean up without a sand change. Commercial swimming pools in comparison are nearly all outfitted with sand filters for several reasons.
Don't void your pool filter warranty!
DE Swimming Pool Filter manufacturers and swimming pool builders require regular filter cleanings to ensure their warranties are not voided. They usually recommend filter cleanings them every 3-6 months depending on which type of filter and the manufacturer.
A swimming pool filter warranty will also usually be voided by a home warranty company without proof of regular filter cleanings.
If you have home warranty coverage on your pool equipment they will usually refuse coverage on your filter repairs if you cannot demonstrate it has been well maintained with regular filter cleanings. Unfortunately many swimming pool owners find out about this after it is too late.
Did you know filter cleanings pay for themselves?
The electricity savings alone will often cover the cost. To verify this just put a voltmeter on the filter pump motor and measure the amount of amps it is drawing when running before and after your filter cleaning. NOTE: If you are not familiar with electricity or qualified to do this please hire a professional.
A dirty filter that has been cleaned will often drop the average pressure on the tank by 5-10psi. This increased flow through the filter means the filter pump will draw less amps or power. Since your filter pump motor is one of the biggest consumers of power in your home this savings in power will directly affect your electric bill. Why give this money to the electric company when you could have a healthier pool instead?
With a clean and maintained pool filter you will:
- Lower your electrical bill - this alone could pay for a swimming pool filter cleaning.
- Get healthier pool water - 10-20lbs of dirt and gunk will no longer be in your swimming pools circulatory system. Your pool water will not longer be pumped through this gunk. Also you will be at less risk of algae outbreaks.
- Prolong your pool filter's life - less stress on the internals means less repairs.
- Prolong the life of your filter pump motor - less resistance from the filter means it can do its job of moving your pool water more easily.
A filter cleaning is not to be confused with a filter backwash. Our filter cleanings include:
- A full disassemble on all the grids and filter internals.
- Cleaning the internals and the inside of the tank.
- Using an acid solution as needed to remove any calcium buildup on the grids.
- Lubricating the backwash valve if it is a push pull or slide.
- Resealing the tank.
- Re-charging the filter with DE (if needed).
- Testing for proper filtration.